The World Health Organization (WHO) reported
– Worldwide obesity has nearly tripled since 1975.
– In 2016, more than 1.9 billion adults, 18 years and older, were overweight. Of these over 650 million were obese.
– 39% of adults aged 18 years and over were overweight in 2016, and 13% were obese.
– Most of the world’s population live in countries where overweight and obesity kills more people than underweight.
– 41 million children under the age of 5 were overweight or obese in 2016.
– Over 340 million children and adolescents aged 5-19 were overweight or obese in 2016.
– Obesity is preventable.
What are obesity and overweight
Overweight and obesity are defined as abnormal or excessive fat accumulation that may impair health. Continue reading
Eat less’ move more; live longer – and, we might add, the sooner the better, according to the latest information from the American Heart Associaton.
Being overweight may cause higher blood pressure and changes to the heart’s structure, even in young adults.
Even as a young adult, being overweight may cause higher blood pressure and thicken heart muscle, setting the stage for heart disease later in life, according to new research in the American Heart Association’s journal Circulation.
The study is the first to explore if higher body mass index (BMI) – a weight-for-height index – results in adverse effects on the cardiovascular system in young adults.
While observational studies can suggest associations between risk factors or lifestyle behaviors and heart disease, they cannot prove cause-and-effect. Here, investigators triangulated findings from three different types of genetic analysis to uncover evidence that BMI causes specific differences in cardiovascular measurements. Continue reading
The monthly Healthletter from the Mayo Clinic has some super suggestions on living longer.
I love that they start their list with one of my favorite subjects – smoking.
Smoking – “behavioral counseling and support groups, along with medications to reduce withdrawal symptoms, are typically the best route to stop smoking.”
I feel so strongly about smoking being a killer, I put together a special page, available at the top of the screen – How Bad is Smoking? Continue reading