I thought there was some good info here. Although I have enjoyed robust good health for the past nearly six years of writing this blog, anything I can do to reduce sick time is on my radar. With cold and flu season approaching – it couldn’t hurt.
As they used to say on Monty Python, “And now for something completely different.” Despite the hot spell in Chicago this summer, I decided to use my Vita Mix machine for something completely different from the wonderful cold drinks I have been making – hot soup. One of the amazing benefits of the machine is that it allows you to prepare hot soup right in the container because of its terrific power. A side benefit for me is that it gives me a place to use the left over chicken breast from my Costco rotisserie chicken.
Here is the recipe from the Vita Mix website:
Prep time 4-5 minutes
1 cup (240 ml) low sodium chicken, beef, or vegetable stock
1 1/2 cups (360 ml) skim milk
1/2 small onion, peeled
3 medium potatoes, baked or boiled, with skin (reserve 1 potato)
1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon spinach, cooked or frozen
5 ounces (140 g) chicken breast, skinned and boned, cooked and cut up
Salt to taste
1. Place broth, skim milk, onion, two potatoes, and rosemary into the Vita Mix container and secure lid.
2. Select Variable 1.
3. Turn machine on and quickly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
4. Blend for 4-5 minutes or until heavy steam escapes from the vented lid.
5. Reduce speed to Variable 3 and remove the lid plug.
6. Add spinach and reserved potato through the lid plug opening and blend until potato is chopped, about 15 seconds.
7. Drop in chicken and blend for an additional 5 seconds.
Serving Size 1 cup (240 ml)
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 3g
Saturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 51g
Dietary Fiber 4g
This is a very quick fix for a super tasty first course for dinner, high on the priorities for Mr. Lazy Cook.
Other Vita Mix recipe posts include:
How to Vita Mix a Low Cal Copy of the Jamba Juice Orange Dream Machine,
Vita Mix – Drinking a Watermelon
Vita Mix – Another Green Smoothie
A St. Patrick’s Day Green Smoothie – Vita-Mix
Vita-Mix – Cold Peach Summer Smoothie
Vita-Mix – Cold Green Soup
Vita-Mix – Green Smoothies
Vita-Mix – Watermelon Sorbet Recipe
Vita-Mix – Garden Fresh Cocktail