Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones.
Now hear the word of the Lord.
Those lyrics from an old spiritual have been running through my head since I started reading about osteoporosis and our bones.
More women are affected by osteoporosis than men, but we guys are definitely vulnerable, especially as we age.
Facts and statistics:
- Up to one in four men over age 50 will break a bone due to osteoporosis.
- Approximately two million American men already have osteoporosis. About 12 million more are at risk.
- Men older than 50 are more likely to break a bone due to osteoporosis than they are to get prostate cancer.
- Each year, about 80,000 men will break a hip.
- Men are more likely than women to die within a year after breaking a hip. This is due to problems related to the break.
- Men can break bones in the spine or break a hip, but this usually happens at a later age than women.
Here’s what the National Osteoporosis Foundation has to say about it: