As regular readers know, I feel strongly about the great outdoors, savoring the experience of it as well as exercising outdoors. Summer has made its presence known with a vengeance this year and there is a time and a place for everything.
I have been riding my bike around sunrise lately as a method of avoiding the oppressive heat. I am 76 years old and in excellent shape, but my doctor said that she tells even her 40-year-olds not to push exercise in extreme heat. You can check out my Page – How to deal with extreme heat for lots more examples.
Meanwhile the Go4Life folks offer the following excellent suggestions for heat extremes:
• Walk on the treadmill, ride the stationary bike, or use the rowing machine that’s gathering dust in your bedroom or basement. Or use one at a nearby gym or fitness center.
• Work out with an exercise DVD. You can get a free one from Go4Life.
• Go bowling with friends.
• Join a local mall walking group.
• Walk around an art gallery or museum to catch a new exhibit.
• Check out an exercise class at your neighborhood Y.
• If you like dancing, take a Zumba® or salsa class.
• Try yoga or Tai Chi.
• Go to the gym and work on your strength, balance, and flexibility exercises or set up your own home gym. All you need is a sturdy chair, a towel, and some weights. Soup cans or water bottles will do if you don’t have your own set of weights.
• Go to an indoor pool and swim laps or try water aerobics
• How about a game of indoor tennis, hockey, basketball, or soccer?
• Go indoor ice skating or roller skating.
• Maybe it’s time for some heavy duty cleaning. Vacuum, mop, sweep. Dust those hard-to-reach areas.
2 responses to “Exercise ideas for hot weather”
Even those in the best of shape need not challenge mother nature in an “ego” dual in this hot weather. Exercising is a great value, but should never be pursued in a manner that produces detrimental outcomes. Enjoying outdoor activities is wonderful just as long as we use our intelligence to remain well hydrated and to push ONLY to levels of reasonable effort. Thank you for sharing these important tips during the summer months.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks for your comments, Doctor Jonathan. Much appreciated. Ego should be left behind.
LikeLiked by 1 person