Since eating temptations abound around Valentine’s Day, I thought I would share these observations on weight.
“…. There are facts about obesity of which we may be reasonably certain — facts that are useful today,” says researcher Krista Casazza, PhD, RD, from the department of nutrition sciences at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, in a prepared statement, WebMD reported.
Here they are:
1. “Your genes are not your destiny. Moderate environmental changes can promote as much weight loss as even the best weight-loss drugs.”
I love this one. So often people use ‘bad genes’ as an excuse for their weight problems, ignoring completely their own bad eating habits.
2.”Even without weight loss, physical activity improves health.”
Another winner. I have reiterated this statement in at least 25 different posts on this blog. Eat less; move more; live longer.
Amen. Listen to Uncle Sam.
4. “Continuation of conditions that promote weight loss helps people keep the weight off. Think of obesity as a chronic condition.”
Likewise, I think of good eating and exercise habits as chronic, too.
5. “For overweight children, involving the family and home environment in weight-loss efforts is ideal.”
6. “Providing actual meals or meal replacements works better for weight loss than does general advice about food choices.”
Both 5 and 6 sound like first rate advice.
7. “Weight-loss drugs can help some people lose weight.”
I am not going to argue with the experts here, but I sincerely doubt that the weight stays off if they don’t change their eating and exercise habits. I repeat my recommendation to pay attention to what you eat and exercise regularly. That will melt the pounds away. You won’t need drugs.
8. “Bariatric surgery can help achieve long-term weight loss in some people.”
The study was supported in part by the National Institutes of Health. Our tax dollars at work.
I would like to say for the record that I don’t believe losing weight works. It is only temporary at best. If, instead, you get your head on straight and aim to live a healthy life by eating intelligently and exercising regularly, I can promise that you will never have a weight problem.